Sunday, 6 January 2013

Sarah Nickerson is a young woman that has a husband and three kids. She has a well paying, challenging job that always keeps her on her toes whether its checking her hundreds of emails, making phone calls, or sitting through long meetings. She barely has time for anything, but work. Keeping all three of her kids under control just adds to the level of stress that she receives from work on a daily basis. Compared to me, Sarah is very different. For me, work comes after everything and is something that I do so that I can have a little extra cash. For Sarah, she'd be lost without her job. It's what keeps their life where its at. It is, however, hard to compare me to Sarah since she's a lot older than I am. If I was in her position though, I wouldn't want to be as high up in her job as she is. It consumes too much of her in my opinion, and when I have kids, I want to be part of their lives and not be glad to have someone else at home to take care of them since I'm never home. Sarah shows her appreciation towards their nanny, Abby but saying "She became an essential member of our family. I can't imagine our life without her." (Genova, 16) This quote is important to the novel because it shows how much Sarah already depends on someone else for help. It also shows that all she really knows is her job since someone else has always been taking care of everything else. This quote is significant to me because it makes me wonder what would happen if she were to lose Abby. It makes me think that her life could be turned upside down at any moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment