Sunday, 6 January 2013

Its pouring rain on Sarah's way to work. She's finally going to be early for once since her husband took the kids this morning. She grabs her phone from her bag and decides to get ahead of the game before she even gets to work and attempts to start making her phone calls. Sarah doesn't see that the rest of the traffic has stopped though, and but the time she does, its too late. She's hydroplaning. The author acknowledges that "Something hits [her] head." (Genova, 64) The last thing she can remember before she wakes up in the hospital is hearing the sound of the rain hitting the roof of her car. When I read this part of the book, I could barely breath. I couldn't imagine being in that situation, and actually watch your life whirl around you and just hope that you survive. One minute its just like any other day, get up, get ready, and go to work. The next minute, all you can do is try and stay awake by focusing on the sound of the rain. When I was younger, I was moving things around in my room and had to plug something into an outlet. I was having troubles plugging whatever it was into the outlet and as I gave it one last shove I saw the outlet begin to spark. All I could think to myself was "I'm dead" as I shot backwards a foot or two. I think that my situation was similar to what Sarah experienced right before her car crashed as she was hydroplaning. There are those few seconds where you realize that something bad is happening and can not see or hear anything and only think that this could be the end. The quote that I picked is important to the novel because I believe that something happened when she hit her head. In my opinion, it wouldn't be there if it didn't have a purpose to the story. It is significant to me because it was the line in the book that made me realize that something was really wrong. It was where me, being the reader, figured out that it wasn't just a minor accident or that her car just spun a little. It was the point of the book that I had been waiting for, not quite in that way though, where Sarah's life was going to be turned upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment